Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/skin-beauty/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]ebmd.net

Includes Expert Content
    sow thistle skin irritation
    heypapajinx posted:
    I have felt pain in my leg and now have a sizable rash on my leg after mowing the lawn the other day. I did walk into a plant that is native to the state I live in called the Sow Thistle and it did sting, but did not think much of it at the time. It caused irritation for only a moment but the stinging went away and when I was done mowing the lawn, I did not wash off my legs and went to bed later in the evening. When I awoke I found that my leg hurt and there were some small bumps that were tender, but I ignored them. It has been approximately 5 days and the rash has persisted if not gotten worse. It has not spread but it certainly looks worse. Is there anything I can do? I have had poison ivy before and I know that this is not it. It does not itch, it is just very tender. It has bubbled nor has it wept, so it doesn't seem that there is anything inside of the raised area. Please advise as I have yet to find any suggestions online. Thank you!!

Susan Evans, MD responded:
    Dear heypapajinx,

It does sound as though you developed a form of contact dermatitis from something that touched the skin of your legs while mowing.

If it is not spreading and not getting infected, it would be OK to treat the area symptomatically. Cold compresses are often effective as is an over-the-counter corticosteroid cream.

If the rash does not resolve within about two weeks, it may be advisable to see your doctor. In the future, please wear socks and pants when you mow the lawn and always shower afterward to prevent any future occurrences.

Best,

Dr. Evans

heypapajinx replied to Susan Evans, MD's response:
    Thanks Doc!!

I am going to see a Dr. for the first time in 7 years because of this! It has become infected and spread and I have a fever and feel wiped out. In the future I will be sure to properly protect myself so this NEVER occurrs again. Thanks for the quick response!!

Susan Evans, MD replied to heypapajinx's response:
    Good luck to you.

Best,

Dr. Evans

khardegree replied to heypapajinx's response:
    I believe I have the exact same thing you had. Like yours mine did not surface til the 5th day and once it did it just itched like poison ivy. I also like yourself now have an infected arm only on the spot to which the plant brushed my forearm but I immediately washed my arm after exposure in the kitchen sink but still came down with a rash.

I have not gone to the doctor yet as I plan on treating it with batroban cream for now. I would however like to know what the end result was regarding your doctor visit and recovery time. Any info you could give me would be greatly apprciated.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Avoid drinking margaritas in the sun!Expert
    One of the most common things that we see in the office in the summer and after winter vacations are burns from people having lime juice ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    12 of 13 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.