Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Old shingles scar
    An_207068 posted:
    I am in my 40's and contracted shingles as a teen. I still have an ugly old shingles scar which is very very painful. I've tried everything and have seen one dermatologist after another. What can I use that is safe to relieve my constant discomfort?

    Was this Helpful?
    6 of 13 found this helpful
    itchinghelp responded:
    what can i use to stop the itching after my shingle have gone away?
    Annie_WebMD_Staff replied to itchinghelp's response:
    Hi itchinghelp,

    Please click on the Shingles Health Center to read about shingles including treatments for this skin condition. Please talk to your doctor about what would be the best for you.

    Take care!

    - Annie
    Take a look at the announcement area for links to the various WebMD skin related health centers!
    stretchyfernia replied to itchinghelp's response:
    You can use some anti itch lotion but better consult your doctor since its going to be on your skin again. As for the scars, you can use dermology cream. works best

    Featuring Experts

    Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

    Helpful Tips

    Treatment for StingsExpert
    Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    5 of 7 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.