Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page for your Smoking Cessation board: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/smoking-cessation/or this page for your Substance Abuse board: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

The Last Time I Quit
    jmosb posted:
    I actually quite smoking for 6 months. I felt as if an old friend had died. I have smoked a pack a day for about 40 years. They are one of the few things in my life that have been a constant. I have reached a point now, where I don't want to do it anymore. I still enjoy cigarettes, but I hate the smell, having to go outside, or feel like I'm an outcast. I'm about to try again. I would greatly appreciate all the support and help I can get.

carpentercamper responded:
    I did it one hour at a time. When I got an urge, took a deep breath, a sip of ice water, put it out of my mind. If I could just hold out this hour, we will see how it goes. Been over 2 years now. I too enjoyed smoking so much, family hated it, smelly, and going outside was about the worst of it. Do it, do it, I am so glad I did and no longer tied to that leash.

editor_morgan responded:
    Hi jmosb,

Craving and withdrawal symptoms are completely normal when smokers quit. However, there is more than just a physical dependence on cigarettes, but there is also an emotional one. It is completely normal for you to feel like a "close friend" has died....but this friend isn't actually a friend. This friend is actually an enemy who has been trying to hurt you all of these years. Would you still be friends with a person like that? Probably not.

I'm glad to see that you are finally putting your health first. I can't stress this enough...You are doing the right thing for your health!

Coping with Cravings & Withdrawals

Click here for tips to staying smoke free

Here is WebMD's guide to quitting smoking

Have you considered a support group? A support group can give you hope and confidence to quit, decrease your feelings of isolation and allow you to express yourself to others who understand what you are going through. ***Click here to read more about support groups and how to find one in your area***

You CAN do this! Please keep us updated on your progress.

Helpful Tips

Might glucose help smokers to quit?Expert
    We all know that when you stop smoking your appetite increases, and often people get a particular craving for sweet foods. It seems as ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    21 of 26 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.