Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Pars defect
    An_227271 posted:
    My 15 year old son was having low left back pain about a month and a half ago while playing baseball and I took him to an orthopedist. He took an x-ray and said he had a pars defect with no fracture, but had thin cartilage instead of bone. He told him to stop sports until the pain went away, physical therapy and prescribed Naprosyn. He continued sports after about 3 weeks when he was pain free, but is now having low right back pain again (where before it was on the left). When I look pars defect up, it always talks about a fracture, but the doctor told us he did not have one. It also talks about bracing and stopping sports for months. I'm confused since his pars defect doesn't seem to be related to the ones that I look up on the internet since they involve fractures. Can you tell me what you think my son should do next?
    Debintexas3 responded:
    My 14 year old son is going through and told same thing. Originally thought he had a muscle strain when pain started....back hurt some with running and was up to bat and really hurt...had to stop playing.Finally got MRI which showed edema and suspected pars fracture by orthopedic who had him braced for 8 weeks with no activity. Released to baseball. Two and half weeks later same symptoms returned. After couple days pain free. Began physical therapy. Went to neurosurgeon for opinion and he believes son may have congenital pars defect. Getting MRI and catscan to get a better idea of what is going on. My son just wants to play baseball. He is in 8th grade currently. How has your son been?

    Helpful Tips

    My Easy Fix
    I went through ALL the treatments, physical therapy, steroid injections, different shoes, "the boot"...none of it worked. Then, I had a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center