Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Includes Expert Content
    muscle weakness
    rahmanbanat posted:
    24 years old male , had an arthroscope due to limitation in ROM . especially while the flexion in addition to sever knee pain .
    the arthroscope result was ( synovial hypertrophy ) , then the pt got the weakness in the thigh muscles & still the sever pain found and it increase with walking .
    so , what is the best procedure to increase the strength & relive this pain !!??
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful
    Mary Ann Wilmarth, PT, DPT, OCS responded:
    It sounds like you need increased strength and endurance in the leg muscles including, but not limited to, the quadriceps (front of thigh), hamstrings (back of thigh), and all leg and hip muscles. In addition, you want to work on balance after having surgery.

    I would recommend that you find a physical therapist to work with in order to assess and determine what exercises would be most beneficial for your particular situation. You can look under Find a PT at

    Definitely do follow up with this since the strength is extremely important with the functioning of the knee.

    Dr. Wilmarth

    Helpful Tips

    My Easy Fix
    I went through ALL the treatments, physical therapy, steroid injections, different shoes, "the boot"...none of it worked. Then, I had a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Sports Medicine Center