Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/stroke/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

fatigue long after the initial recovery
    An_262697 posted:
    my father had a stroke in August and by October he was back on his feet and running around 80-90% before his stroke. the stroke was caused by an A-fib, which he must have gotten during a valve replacement surgery December 2012. After release from rehab in October he was doing great. 30 min exercises on the treadmill and just being active. End of November he goes to ER and finds out he has V-fib. Within days they insert a defibrillator. and he comes home and seems to be doing well and nothing wrong at all...but every since end of January he just started feeling very tired. Fatigue started overcoming him. IN the last couple of weeks his walks have turned into 20 minute walks because he cant do them any longer without getting exhausted. Cardiologist did an ECHO and it's good. Pulse, pressure good. So we have no idea what it could be...do you think it's just a late symptoms of the stroke?! he is getting very scared and doenst want to do much at all because he is afraid of how tired he gets by doing the simplest things.

couplingguyross responded:
    It has been one year since my stroke. Fatigue is a huge issue. Quote from paper you can download describes my life so far - "If I had to summarize my life with brain injury, I'd say that life is going too fast: After two hours my energy of the day has been consumed". Try this for a great paper entitled 'Neurofatigue". If it doesn't work, I can scan and send you a copy:
    www.braininjury-explanation.com/.../neurofatigue

it is 3 dots between the 2 back-slashes at the end.

Hope it helps to understand this. Acceptance is important and then time, which in my case, seems to be taking too long. Make sure everybody understands that if dad needs a nap, it's not his fault. Let him take his nap(s) and don't question him or make any comments - just accept he needs this and he's not having any fun, as it's intense fatigue. Read this and do some research on coping skills is my suggestion.

Ross,
    Toronto, Ontario
    e: [email protected]

mikashot replied to couplingguyross's response:
    Ross,
    Thank you so much for sharing that article. it's "right-on" Describes my life a year after my stroke. I recommend all stroke survivors read this article and share with people in your life so they can become more aware of what we are living with.

Helpful Tips

Any Exercise is Good!Expert
    A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740854 but I think the results ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    4 of 8 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.