Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/stroke/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

What is your meaning of "Recovery"
    deborah163 posted:
    Please visit me at: http://stroke.zohosites.com/

As a stroke survivor, I am doing a research project that will examines the importance of rehabilitation process for stroke recovery. The
    significance of this project is to: identifying the needs of a stroke survivors, change societal perceptions, discover solutions to improve the rehabilitation process, and locate the meaning of recovery.

Why I am doing this research project?

This project is important to me because I had a stroke at the age of 31 in 2001 and the idea of stroke survivor is still a new concept to me. I always thought of myself as a victim. A victim of circumstances, a victim of hereditary, a victim without a perpetrator except my own body.

The idea of "Survivor" never came in the picture, because then I would have to see myself as overcoming something I could not describe to anyone else, that did not share the experience of a stroke. Survivor meant I am seeking to recovery and have hope of one day being who I once was. Survivor seemed to be an impossibility to me, so I owned my victim status.

I was wrong.
    I am a survivor because I had a stroke and I lived.
    I am a survivor because I had a stroke and I get tell other people about my experience.
    I am a survivor because had a stroke I still have hope to gain the things I lost.
    I am a survivor because had a stroke I still have dreams.
    I am a survivor because had a stroke I still can still learn.
    I am a survivor because had a stroke I still love myself and others.

This research project is a way to come to terms with what I went through and define what "recovery" means to stroke survivors collectively.

Please read my story and participate in my survey or questionnaire if you want to. There are also links to online support groups.

Thank you.

Helpful Tips

Form
    I also have experienced the numbing sensation in the back of the head or neck area. It only happens when I am laying down awkwardly with a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.