Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Does a TIA leave permanent damage
    Quinnmamma posted:
    OK I am confused. My husband had a stroke or a TIA in 2015. His neurologist is in a different town so he was treated by a Neuro in the Er. He was given TPA for the clot. Now the doctor is saying that it wasn't a full stroke but a TIA since his regular doctor wasn't there he refuses to say one way or the other. My husband still has impaired memory and mobility and it has been over a year. I have asked other doctors about this but there doesn't seem to be a consensus. I'm confused. So does a TIA leave permanent damage or not?
    An_267472 responded:
    I have recently been told by a specialist that depending upon the severity of the TIA & the location in the brain that they can leave "permanent residual effects". Having a MRCP (it's a special type of MRI) can help determine if he has had new strokes & exactly where the brain has any damage. Also side effects of a stroke can appear later down the road. There are activities at home you can do to help "make new brain pathways" to help with his memory. Healing can take an extremely long time unfortunately. Hang in there & never give up!

    Helpful Tips

    I also have experienced the numbing sensation in the back of the head or neck area. It only happens when I am laying down awkwardly with a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.