Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    Best course of action- financially and medically.
    Geeemess posted:
    My mother recently had an ischemic stroke and was left without the ability to walk, use her left arm, and see out of her left eye. She has no health insurance and the hospital will not release her unless into a rehab facility. They are recommending a long term cycle, possibly a year.

    Her only source of income is an alimony check and her only possession of value is a house that is too big for her.

    This is her 3rd stroke, all the results of a lifetime of smoking.

    Now, my questions. The doctor mentioned declaring her disabled, fighting for health insurance, and checking her into a rehab facility that way. Is that advisable? What obstacles am I likely to see in this? What are the lasting effects of declaring her disabled? Her monthly alimony is around $3000/month, I'm correct in assuming she cannot qualify for medicaid, right?

    Is the best option to sell the house, buy her a smaller one and pay off her medical bills? I'm pretty lost and I'm looking for the most advisable way to handle this. Is there some sort of professional whom these questions are better suited?
    Richard C Senelick, MD responded:
    I would agree that this not a medical question. Do you live in the United States? Is she in a regular hospital at this time? If she is in the hospital, there should be a case manager or social worker than can refer you to an "independent case manager" who can help you make the decision that is best for your situation. I have also found the social security offices quite helpful in explaining benefits to people. However, it sounds like you need someone who can look at the entire financial picture and tell you what is best. There are financial counselors for "seniors" who specialize in this sitiationa nd work for a reasonble fee.

    Here is a link to a site that lists many resources for seniors.:

    Good Luck
    After your stroke you may be experiencing a new normal, but remember what George Eliot said- It is never too late to be what you might have been. You still can achieve new goals.

    Helpful Tips

    Any Exercise is Good!Expert
    A recent study looked at exercise in people with Parkinson's Disease, but I think the results ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    4 of 8 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.