Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page for your Smoking Cessation board: this page for your Substance Abuse board:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Alcohol detox at home
    An_264902 posted:
    My son wants to quit drinking, but is not working and has no insurance. He has decided to detox at home. He says he needs to be weened of alcohol and can't stop cold turkey because it could cause medical issues. He is on several waiting lists, but wants to kick it now. Does anyone have any ideas on how to "ween" off of alcohol?? Also, what kind of drinks and food would be helpful to have on hand?? Thank you
    Anon_158160 responded:
    What worked for me was Alcoholics Anonymous. The meetings are free, and they're full of people who have been through similar situations. Your son will have the opportunity to share what's going on with him and learn how others have handled similar challenges.
    I live in an area that offers over 300 meetings a week, and this is a fairly small community. This link can lead to meetings in your area:
    You can help by going to Al-Anon and learn how to set healthy boundaries and take care of yourself.

    Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

    Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

    Helpful Tips

    How Family Member Can Deter Addiction In Adolescents
    Families are the people who know teens the best. It is important that teens know that their families will always provide them with ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.