Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

How Do I Lose Weight after Thyroidectomy?
    nannerbananer20 posted:
    Hi everyone! I'm Natalie and I'm 20 years old. Last year I developed a large mass in my thyroid that went from 0 cm to 7 cm in less than three months. The rapid growth of the tumor forced immediate action (biopsies, surgery, radiation, yada yada). I had three tumors (one cancerous and two benign) in my thyroid, had blackened thyroid tissue, and was diagnosed with chronic Hashimotos. I've always been overweight because of my thyroid disease, but now that my thyroid's gone and I'm on hormones I want to lose weight. Post-surgery (in September of 2014) I was close to 200 lbs and without exercise or a strict diet I've already lost about 15 lbs. I've started exercising every day at the gym and eating less than 1200 calories a day. In the past month I've lost about 3 lbs. I wanted to know what else I could do to speed up or intensify my weight loss. Because of my body type and inherent muscle mass and bone density, my doctor recommended I go down to 140 and go from there.

Is garcinia cambogia okay for people who take levothyroxine as a replacement hormone? What about other diet pills, shakes, or programs? Any warnings before I continue this journey? Thanks!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease in December of 2009. In June of 2010 I had my thyroid removed.

Helpful Tips

Feedback
    I'm new to this website and I'm not sure if'm posting in the right spot. Anyhow, I wanted to know if anybody else has been feeling crazy ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.