Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Doctor's Diet/Exercise Recommendations for Hypothyroidism
    An_263912 posted:
    My wife has been dealing with a Hypothyroidism diagnosis for around a year now and has been taking Levythyroxine. She's not confidant in its effectiveness. However, one of the things that really surprised me is a message she received from her doctor. In response to her gaining weight, they gave her the impression that it was basically a losing battle and it wasn't worth trying to be healthy and dieting/exercise because it wouldn't be easy for her to return her previous quality of health/body image. I don't know why a doctor would tell someone that, but she has lost most of her motivation to stay healthy and active. I don't know how to remedy this situation, aside from asking to tag along to her next appointment and challenging the doctor on that.

rohvannyn responded:
    Wow! I'm really surprised to hear about a doctor being that negative. Well, I guess I'm not, because of the ongoing decline in the medical field. Even so, if a situation is grim, isn't that more reason to fight hard, because if you stop fighting you'll decline even more rapidly? For example, even if your insurance doesn't cover a natural thyroid hormone that might work better than the synthetic, you can usally get a "prior authorization" or an appeal or some such. Then again, the doctor has to be somewhat interested in keeping their patient healthy.

Good luck to you and your wife. Never give up!

jacobedward02 responded:
    Including Iodine rich foods and selenium rich foods will help manage hypothyroidism. Here there are really good list of foods for to eat and to avoid for hypothyroidism
    http://www.belmarrahealth.com/foods-to-eat-for-hypothyroidism/

Spotlight: Member Stories

20 years old; female; college art student; aspiring art therapist. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at age 16 after I had a year sans menstruatio...More

Helpful Tips

Try seaweed for hypothyroidism or iodine deficiency
    I have to say, I have not been diagnosed, but have had almost all the symptoms of hypo, both my female relatives have it too. So, I took ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.