Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

I need some help understanding
    rarred429 posted:
    In June, I had a FNA done for a "well-circumscribed solid lesion lesion containing calcification's measuring 1.2 x 0.8 x 0.9 cm in right lobe". A 5 mm nodule was seen on the left lobe. The right lobe is measuring 4.4 x 2.8 x 2 cm and the left lobe is measuring 3.7 x 2.7 x 1.5 cm. The isthmus is thickened up to 5 mm depth. [br>[br>This US was a 6 month follow up to one that was done in Nov, 2014. At that time, there was only the nodule in the right lobe, it was under 1 cm (hence the 6 month follow up US) and there was nothing present in the left lobe. I know the growth, the calcification, and the fact that the left lobe now has two nodule's can be troublesome. [br>[br>The FNA findings are as follows: Benign. Risk of malignancy: 0-3[br>[br>Bethesda Category II: With features of benign thyroid nodule. [br>[br>Comment: The radiographic finding of 1.2 cm calcified right circumscribed nodule is noted. Smears and cell blocks show follicular cells with benign nuclear features with some free colloid and granular debris. [br>[br>Since the nodules do bother me, the Endocrinologist referred me to a surgeon even though she felt it "wasn't necessary since lots of people walk around with nodules and goiters bigger than mine just fine". After waiting three weeks for a call, I called the surgeon myself for an appointment. I was told they never received my information about the referral. [br>[br>On July 30th, I had my consultation with the Surgeon. He asked if I had a Thyroid panel done, and I hadn't. He asked why, I told him to ask the Endocrinologist. He said he'd order one to be done that day. He examined my Thyroid for all of two seconds, and said I had a Multinodular Goiter on my Thyroid. Explained that Synthroid would help shrink the nodules on their own. Told me that I didn't need surgery to remove the nodules/Thyroid. At this time, I felt relief because I felt like I had an answer. I felt like someone had finally figured it out. Since no one previously had ordered a full Thyroid panel, I had hoped something would pop up and explain WHY. He said not to start the medicine until the results were back. [br>[br>I called on Tuesday for the results, he said to start the medicine. I asked for my results to be uploaded onto the Patient Portal they use, and they weren't. I went the following morning for a copy. My results are 'normal' across the board. They are as follows:[br>[br>TSH: 1.709 Range: 0.350-5.500[br>T-3 Free: 2.65 Range: 2.50-3.90[br>T-3 Total (True): 141 Range: 87-178[br>T-4 Free: 1.15 Range: 0.89-1.76[br>-T-7 Index: [br>T-4 Total: 11.4 Range: 4.5-12.0 [br>T-3 Uptake: 23.3 Range: 23.0-36.0 [br>-T-7 Index: 2.66 Range: 1.04-4.32[br>[br>So I do see that some are borderline low, some are borderline high. From what research I've done, I don't believe synthetic Thyroid hormone's will help the nodules, rather do more harm to me as a whole because of the side effects. [br>[br>Should I follow up with a different Endocrinologist, or a different surgeon? Or wait until October when I return to my PCP for a follow up US for the nodules to check for more growth? [br>[br>The nodules bother me, are painful from time to time within my neck. It's hard to explain. It just feels as though no one is listening.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 40 year old female and have been treating my manic depression with Lithium therapy for about 10 years,straight.I had no idea of the dangers ...More

Helpful Tips

life with graves
    know what it is like to have graves... about 6 months ago i got dianosed with graves 1 yr after having my son... prior to that i had ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.