Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Born without a thyroid.
    bexi90 posted:
    Hi, I am 18 years old and I was born completely without a thyroid gland at all. It took the doctors several days to figure out what was wrong but when they did, they put me on synthroid. Since the day I was born, I gained 20 pounds every year of my childhood until about age 14 when the weight stopped piling on but left me very overweight. I always believed that my weight was connected to my lack of thyroid while my endocrinologist did not think the two were linked. My doctor always changed around my dosages to see if that would change the weight gain but nothing worked. When I was in my early teens they switched me from synthroid to Levothyroxine and I take .25 mg. I do not gain weight anymore but it is absolutely impossible for me to loose weight. No matter how hard I work, it doesn't come off. I have always been and am still under the impression that my problems with weight are a result of my hypothyroidism. In addition to the weight, I also have struggled with depression, my periods are very irregular, and I am always always tired. Does anyone else go through the same or similar situation? I did some research and it is common that doctors only give a T4 medication (Levothyroxine/synthroid and others) but doctors don't commonly give a T3 medication as well. Whenever I get my testing done to check if my thyroid levels are "normal", they always I am completely normal and I "just need to exercise" but I really think that a T3 medication in addition to my Levothyroxine would make a difference. Thoughts?

rohvannyn responded:
    I keep seeing people talking about having normal levels but not getting the full benefit of their levothyroxine or similar synthetic hormone. I read an article written by an endocrinologist that talked about those patients being helped by a natural thyroid hormone, such as Nature Throid or Armour Thyroid or even dessicated thyroid capsules. In those cases, the article talked about the patients getting better help with their condition even though the levels didn't change that much.

Especially since you don't have any thyroid hormone being produced by your body, you may want to talk to your doctor about a natural hormone rather than a synthetic.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 28 years old. I'm happily married to my husband James. We have been together for 6 years and married for 5 years. We have 2 wonderful chil...More

Helpful Tips

Try seaweed for hypothyroidism or iodine deficiency
    I have to say, I have not been diagnosed, but have had almost all the symptoms of hypo, both my female relatives have it too. So, I took ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.