Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Hypo symptoms but Hyper labs, what type of treatment?
    atowers89 posted:
    I have all of the classic symptoms of hypothyroidism. I've actually been thinking I may have Hashimotos or Sub-clinical Hypothyroidism. However, my lab results indicate hyperthyroidism. How are people with the symptoms of one, but labs of another, treated? I don't want to take a medication for hyperthyroidism as I'm afraid that it would make the hypo symptoms worse. But from what I've read its unlikely I can be prescribed a hypothyroid medication due to the lab results. I have my first appointment with an Endo on Tuesday and I'd like to go into the appointment with a good idea of what my illness could really be, to be able to come to a treatment plan. Thanks in advance for any answers.
    An_254311 responded:
    They really should be called THYROID SYMPTOMS vs hyper/hypo symptoms.

    This is the maddening things about thyroid symptoms, they can do just what you are saying. I too am a hyperthyroid person who has all the classic hypo symptoms. They do not treat the symptoms, they will treat the labs.

    Untreated hyperthyroidism can lead to some bad side effects, don't fight the doctor when you are put on anti-thyroids. Your symptoms will ease off as your labs back off the hyper range.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I'm 28 years old. I'm happily married to my husband James. We have been together for 6 years and married for 5 years. We have 2 wonderful chil...More

    Helpful Tips

    Try seaweed for hypothyroidism or iodine deficiency
    I have to say, I have not been diagnosed, but have had almost all the symptoms of hypo, both my female relatives have it too. So, I took ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.