Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/pregnancy/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Trying again after having tubes tied, Whats my chances?
    An_259163 posted:
    I had 6 perfectly normal pregnancies, 6 perfectly healthy babies (last one 14 years ago, and no health problems ever. My husband has also had 4 perfectly healthy children in a prior marrige. He and I both were fixed many many years ago, and have no health problems. I have went over all the risks, the costs, the chances of a high risk pregnancy, and the only thing we have that may be a problem factor is that I am over the age 35, at 37 years old. I feel that my chances of being able to carry to full term and give birth naturally is very good. And we have put a lot of thought and disscusion into this. We know that IVF is the only way to be able to conceive. We have also disscused maybe having twins.

My questions/concerns is what it the possiblity of being able to use my eggs and my husbands sperm to conceive a baby through IFV after having both been fixed for years? Has it ever been done has anyone ever tried? And if so, does anyone know the results?
    I really do wish to do this, but my husband and my friend said if doing so will cause any health problems they they wont allow it. So before I go through with this, before I go to the doctor, does anyone have any idea what the chances of succeses are?
    Thank you all

mommab89 responded:
    From what I have read and have heard you still produce eggs even once your tubes have been tied and he still produces Sperm (because both a vasectomy and tube tying are reversable procedures) so you should not have any issues with IVF. Have you both discussed your choice with your doctor?? Maybe consider asking what the cost and pros and cons would be if you both just had reversals and tried to concieve naturally. It may be more cost efficient.

kristine403 responded:
    Hi, based on what I heard, read with other women's experiences they did not have a hard time conceiving when they did IVF as long as you are provided with the right information and the right doctor. And they also track their ovulation period that helped them. Let me share here with you a site I've been using to track my ovulation period and I hope it could also help you, goo luck. http://www.ovulation-predictor.org/

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello all! In Sept 2010 I went off the birth control pill for the 1st time in 11 years! To my suprise I had a positive pregnancy test in october 2010....More

Helpful Tips

Acronyms and Lingo
    Here are some of the acronyms used TTC-trying to conceive BFN-big fat negative BFP-big fat positive DDO-days past ovulation BCP-birth ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    23 of 23 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.