Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Penis underside swelling.
    Sam420 posted:

    I am a 24 year old male and the past few months have been very troublesome for me.

    It started with pain in the underside of my penis. Went to the urologists who put me on several different antibiotic courses over the course of 2 months but no improvement.

    The area is now swollen. It is like a swollen vein running along the base of my penis (below the urethra) from the testicles to the mid shaft. I believe it is the 'corpus spongiosum' (after googling penis anatomy). Red spider veins have also started showing presence over there.

    I have been studying up sclerosing lymphanngitis mostly on this site. Can this be lymph swelling? Can lymph swelling occur on the underside of the penis as well or is it only on top of the penis?

    Please help as any info would be greatly appreciated. I am scared this might be something serious like cancer. I have ordered the quick penetrating cream as well and hope it can improve my condition.

    Thanks for your help in advance.
    counterso responded:
    First, it's not penis cancer. That's a crazy conclusion to jump to.

    Lymphatic swelling is centered around the channels and nodes that make up the lymph system. While they can swell significantly and cause pain, you'll be able to feel a rigid "vein" that is the lymph channel at the center of the irritated area when so. If it is confined to a channel like this, then it is likely lymph related. If it is in the soft/spongy tissue only, not caused by a lymph channel that runs through it, then it's something else.

    It's always poor advice to take an antibiotic without actual proof that there is a bacterial infection. It can also dramatically weaken your immune system and cause other things to go wrong. You should always take a probiotic for a month after taking any antibiotic.

    The swelling you describe could be as simple as an allergy to a fabric or a food or a detergent that cleans your clothes.

    You might alternately have a fungal infection in the skin that has become irritated.

    It's a challenge to guess exactly what's going on without inspecting the area, but hopefully that's what your urologist would have done for you. Did you discuss lymphangitis with the urologist as a possible cause? What did they thing was causing the irritation?

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

    Helpful Tips

    Skin burning in my left waist area at belt level
    Does any professional know about a condition with symptoms of skin burning in my left waist area at pants belt level? I have had this for ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    43 of 64 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.