Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Burning Urine and Discharge
    An_267404 posted:
    Hi! I am a 21 years old male experiencing Burning Urine and Discharge for the past 1 Year. I'll try to type in detail so it helps you to understand the problem. My discharge started a year ago and it happened suddenly, I ignored it for some time but then I experienced testicular pain. I went to a Surgeon, after checking up he said I was just fine. He told me to do a urine test which came out negative for any infections. I was prescribed some pain killers which eventually made the pain go away and I hadn't have any testicular pain ever since. He told me to visit a Urologist and I did. He marked me for UTI and prescribed me for some medicines which didn't make my problem better but introduced the burning. I've been to many doctors, they have given me medicines but none helped. I've done ultrasound of my prostate and it's ok.

    The discharge come at the very end when I'm done urinating and I've stood up, I'll feel some liquid tingling down my penis. It used to give some reddish tint when collected on a tissue paper but the color was gone after taking the medicines. The burning remains and it's quite a pain in the ass The burning sometimes is less and most of the time painful. Also to mention that I experience discharge after EVERY time I urinate.

    I did do masturbation but I've kept it at bay now because I'm scared it might do more harm than good. Can this burning be due to some injury inside my penis or something else?
    Anon_1402 responded:
    I feel your pain or should I say felt your pain.
    I had the issue for many, many years and would have perineum, scrotal and penis pain and a discharge after urinating.
    I recall that ejaculation gave some relief but a burning sensation briefly afterward.
    I was one of those men that did not want to go to the Dr and dealt with it until the symptoms became unbearable and I found a really good urologist that prescribed cipro, a strong antibiotic that cured it. It was most likely sexually transmitted, I have to admit I did sleep around back in the day and often without protection. Not a good idea.
    counterso responded:
    Discharge is a word only used to describe infected fluid (yellow/white). You're reporting post-void dribbling and red tint. Red or pink is always an indication of blood, and while this can be scary, the cause is not always sinister.

    It sounds like you may not have pursued a resolution with a single urologist, and instead jumped around from doctor to doctor, instead of persisting with the continuity of knowledge of one urologist. Yes it can be frustrating to have an "I don't know" answer, but it's your responsibility to continue to report to the doctor what's happening and to insist that the investigation continue.

    What it sounds like to me is that you could have a kidney stone issue. While your stones may not be so large that they create blockage and are not visible when you urinate, the grit continues to form, smaller than you can see with your eye, and like sand, causes frequent irritation and occasional bleeding.

    That's not a guaranteed cause, but sounds likely. It's EXTREMELY unlikely that you had a UTI. Men only get UTIs for one of three reasons. 1) sticking something in your urethra, 2) poor hygiene, or 3) physical abnormality. And if you continued to have an infection for a period of weeks you would likely be dead already as UTIs in men are considered immediately life-threatening.

    You could also have a small skin flap inside your urethra that is repeatedly getting torn/ripped when you urinate or ejaculate. This might be spotted with a cystoscopy (very unpleasant procedure) or might not. You could also just have a small tear and keep re-injuring it every time you masturbate or urinate and it never gets a break.

    The ONLY doctor you should see about your penis is a urologist. No other doctor has enough experience to know how to help you. I'll also tell you that taking antibiotics can actually have the side effect of urinary discomfort, so taking lots of medicines can make the original symptoms worse, or replace the original cause of discomfort with a new one. This is why you need a single doctor generating a history of investigation.

    Good luck.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

    Helpful Tips

    Skin burning in my left waist area at belt level
    Does any professional know about a condition with symptoms of skin burning in my left waist area at pants belt level? I have had this for ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    43 of 64 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.